РусскийMagyarPolski

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cultural and historical monuments

DVORAC KRALJA NIKOLE

Dvorac Kralja NikoleIt was built in 1885 on the seashore. The palace was a present from King Nikola to his daughter Princess Zorka and his son-in-law Prince Petar Karađorđević. It consisted of a large palace, a little palace, a chapel, guardhouses and a winter garden. In 1910 a spacious ballroom was built in the palace. As part of the palace, there is a park with many different species of Mediterranean vegetation, among them a cork tree. In front of the palace, there was a wooden pier, which served as a mooring for boats and yachts. During the period between 1866 and 1916 King Nikola owned ten yachts. One of them, named “Sibil” was bought from novelist Jules Verne, while the last yacht he bought, called “Rumija” was sunk in 1915 by the Austro-Hungarian navy in the area of today’s harbour. Here, one can also find a large flower garden, made of a stainless steel structure of interesting shape, which was given as a present by the Italian king, Emanuel, and which is nowadays used as the restaurant called “Knjaževa bašta” (“The Duke’s Garden”). Nowadays, the palace building complex is used as the Homeland Museum of the City of Bar, as well as for festivals (concerts, exhibitions and literary events).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAJ-NEHAJ

haj nehaj

Ruins of the medieval town of Nehaj, founded in the 15th century are 10 km (north-west) from the town of Bar. They are located on an inaccessible hill 225 metres above sea level. It was first mentioned in 1542 and it was built by Venetians for defence purposes. St. Dimitrije’s Church, with two altars (Orthodox and Catholic), which dates from the 13th century and is older than the fortification itself, is located in the town.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monastery of the Mother of God of Ratac

manastir bogorodiceRuins of the Benedictine monastery of the Mother of God of Ratac” date from the 11th century. It is located on the coast at the end of the Cape of Ratac, between Bar and Sutomore. It consisted of three churches and several buildings protected by defence walls and towers. From 1443, it was under Venetian authority. It was destroyed and burnt down by Turks in 1571.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONASTERY STARČEVO

manastir starcevo

..is located on the island of Starčevo on Skadar Lake. It dates from the period of Đurđe Balšić. It was founded in 1377 by Father Makarije, who lived as an ascetic on the island, so it was called Starčevo (The Old Man’s Monastery) after him. The monastery complex consists of the Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God, an accommodation building, supporting structures and a surrounding wall with a gate and several underpinned terraces. The monastery was a centre of literacy, where many manuscripts were rewritten and many books were bound and decorated. The crypt of the printer Božidar Vuković from Podgorica is located in this monastery. After the reconstruction of a part of the accommodation building and after making it fit for dwelling, Starčevo has become an inhabited and active monastery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONASTERY MORAČNIK

manastir moracik

is located on the island of Moračnik on Skadar Lake. It was first mentioned in 1417, in the Charter of Balša III. The monastery complex consists of a church dedicated to the Holy Mother of God, an accommodation building, dining room and high tower with four floors, surrounded by a stone wall with a monumental gate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONASTERY BEŠKA

manstir beska

It is located in the middle of the island of Beška on Skadar Lake. The monastery consists of two churches: a larger one, dedicated to St. Đorđe (14th century), the endowment of Đurđe II Stracimirović-Balšić and a smaller one dedicated to the Holy Mother of God (1440), the endowment of Jelena Balšić.Beška Monastery, as well as Starčevo Monastery, was famous for its intensive transcription activities. The Gorička Anthology was written in this monastery. It is a religious, edifying transcript composed by Nikon Jerusalimac.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Monastery of the Virgin of Krajina

manastir precista

is one of the most significant monuments in Montenegro. Ruins of the monastery with the church dedicated to the Assumption of the Mother of God, are located near Ostros, on the shores of Skadar Lake. The church was first mentioned at the end of the 10th century, in “The Chronicle of Priest Dukljan”. The monastery was founded by Duke Vladimir, well known from the legend about his tragic love with the beautiful Kosara, daughter of the Macedonian Tsar Samuilo. For a while, the monastery was the residence of the archbishop of Zeta. At the end of the 16th century, it was completely destroyed. In its vicinity, in the place called Ostros, there is a well from the year 1001, which is still used for supplying water to the inhabitants of local villages.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONASTREY GORNJI BRČELI

manastir gornji brceliNalazi se u istoimenom selu, po kome i nosi ime. The monastery is located in the village of Brčeli, which is named after the monastery. It was founded at the beginning of the 18th century by Bishop Danilo, as his winter residence. Within the monastery there is the church dedicated to the Shroud of the Mother of God with an iconostasis, the handiwork of Petar Čolanović that dates from 1928. The monastery building and church are encompassed by a high stone wall with a main gate on the southern side. A one-sided belfry with a spinning-wheel mechanism was built on the wall beside the gate, on its eastern side. The old accommodation building was constructed as a typical house in Crmnica, with distinctive arched doorways and terraces. In 1863, a school was established within the monastery, which was later moved to the adjacent monastery of Donji Brčeli.






-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONASTERY DONJI BRČELI

donji brceliIt is located in the village called Donji Brčeli, with a church dedicated to St. Nikola. The monastery was constructed in the 15th century. An arched room was constructed under the floor of the chapel and you can enter it through the hole made in the floor of the altar area. It is believed that this room was used as a dungeon during the reign of Šćepan Mali,. Later, Šćepan Mali was murdered and buried in this church. Within the monastery was a school, which had previously been in the Gornji Brčeli Monastery.






-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trikonos of the Town of Bar

barski tri

The establishment of this church is related to the period of Justinian’s reign (6th century). The height of the preserved church walls amounts to one metre. While carrying out research on the church, fragments of decorative stone plastics and a necropolis were found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. TEKELA'S CHURCH

sv-tekla

It was constructed of broken stone in the 13th century. At first it was an Orthodox church, while later, after becoming a Uniate church, it was also provided with another, Catholic, altar. This church has two altars even today. It is visited by people of both confessions and people of both confessions are buried in its cemetery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. NIKOLA'S CHURCH

cv-sv.nikole

The Archbishopric of the City of Bar is situated in this church. The archbishopric was founded in 1089, which was confirmed by Pope Clement III by sending the Palij (mantle) to the Archbishop of Duklja. Thus, three bishoprics were subjugated to his power (comprising Bar, Kotor, Ulcinj, Svač, Skadar, Drivostu, Pilot), as well as the countries of Serbia, Bosnia and Travunija. The Archbishop was given the title of Primas Serbiae.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOSQUE OMERBAŠIĆA

dzamija omerbasica

Is located in the Old Town of Bar. It was constructed in 1662. Its structure is rather simple, with rectangular base, and minaret built next to the south-west wall. At the beginning of the 17th century, Derviš Hasan’s domed burial site was built beside the mosque, at the entrance to the complex. The smaller ground floor building was built next to it and was used as a residential building. A public fountain was constructed near the entrance and later, a mosque house for a Muslim priest or imam was built as well. The whole area is surrounded by a stone wall. Of the significant cultural and historical monuments in this area, the following are especially valuable: the Holy Mother`s Church (village of Gluhi Do), the Church of St. Jovan and St. Archangel (village of Donja Seoca on the shore of Skadar Lake), the Church of St. Jovan and St. Mihailo (a two-nave church at the community cemetery in the village of Sotonići), the Church of St. Nikola and St. Jovan (a two-nave church next to the road Virpazar-Bar at the village of Boljevići), the Orahovo Monastery (at the village of Orahovo), Grmožur Fortress (an island in Godinje bay at Skadar Lake), the Church of St. Marija (swell Gretva, 300m from Old Bar), the Church of St. Marko (3km north of Old Bar).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. ROKO'S CHURCH – Spič

The remains of St. Roko’s Church are located near Sutomore. The church dates from the 14th century. Although the church only used to have one altar, it served both the Orthodox and Catholic populations. Today, it is in ruins.

ST. ATANASIJE'S CHURCH - Sotonići

This dates from the end of 14th century. Around the church, there are several tombs covered with stone slabs.

CST. PETKAS CHURCH - Šušanj

This church was built in the Middle Ages and is constructed of roughly hewn stone.